Kevin Shipley is an engineer, patent agent, lawyer, trusted advisor and (self-professed) all-around good guy.
En route to Foglers Kevin obtained degrees in mechanical engineering, economics and law, and has spent several years honing his craft and developing a practice based on patent prosecution and IP portfolio strategy and management. Kevin also has significant experience in large-scale freedom-to-operate and product launch/clearance projects (to avoid getting into trouble) as well as aggressive patent portfolio mining and offensive patent filing projects (to create trouble for competitors). He also opines on patent validity and infringement, and provides advice relating to IP licenses, confidentiality agreements and other IP-related agreements.
Having been bitten by the entrepreneurial bug (but not quite enough to quit his day job), Kevin focuses a portion of his practice on working with start-up companies. He has worked with and provided support to a number of start-up incubators in south-western Ontario (including RIC Centre, ICube, Communitech, Impact Centre, DFZ and the like). For these clients, Kevin provides assistance with developing early-stage and ongoing IP strategy, identifying commercially relevant innovations and securing registered IP rights, and leveraging and licensing IP assets for commercial advantage. Kevin also generally serves as a sounding board for business strategy development.
To stay connected to his engineering roots and to try to re-live his youth, Kevin currently serves as Chair of the Ontario Engineering Competition Advisory Board which supports the planning and execution of an annual, province-wide undergraduate engineering competition.
When away from his computer, Kevin enjoys all things home theatre related, and is an avid dabbler in smart home and IoT-related gadgets – some of which he can actually get to work! He also enjoys spending time with his wife and two young sons, who are less interested in Intellectual Property and instead prefer playing catch, building Lego and reading books about trucks or super heroes.
JUNE 16 2020
IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals
Kevin Shipleyhas been recognized in the 2020 edition of IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals. IAM Patent identifies the top patent professionals in key jurisdictions around the globe. According to IAM Patent, Kevin “takes a pragmatic approach to his work. Bright and pragmatic, he is great at thinking about clients’ business needs and offering them easily applicable solutions.”
APRIL 29 2020
Nine Partners Recognized in the 2020 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
We are pleased to announce that seven of our Partners have been named as leaders in their field in the 2020 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory is an annual ranking of Canadian lawyers in over 40 practice areas, based on peer review surveys plus personal interviews with senior members of the profession. Fogler Rubinoff lawyers profiled in this year's edition include:
- Stanley Berger – Environmental Law;
- Steven A. Cygelfarb – Property Leasing;
- Albert Engel – Environmental Law
- Bill Hearn – Advertising & Marketing Law;
- Eric Hoffstein – Estate & Personal Tax Planning, Estate Litigation and Charities/Not-for-Profit Law;
- Gary Kissack – Aboriginal Law;
- Kenneth W. Movat – Construction Law; and
- Kevin Shipley– Intellectual Property Law
MARCH 31 2020
Pandemics and Emergency Access to Patented Technology in Canada
Canada's COVID-19 Emergency Response Act came into force on March 25, 2020. Perhaps overlooked amongst emergency relief, health care and financial effects is Part 12 of the Act which makes changes to the Patent Act.
FEBRUARY 26 2020
Foglers Named as a Top 100 Firm by the PCT Network
Ontario Bar Association
Law Society of Ontario
Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
Chair, Advisory Board - Ontario Engineering Competition
AIPPI - International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Chair of International Standing Committee - Digital Economy
- Chair, AIPPI Canada Patent Sub Committee
- Vice-Chair, 2019 Congress Patent Working Question Study Group
Registered Canadian Patent Agent
Registered US Patent Agent
- Called to the Ontario Bar, 2008
- JD University of Toronto, 2007
- University of Western Ontario, B.E.Sc., Mechanical Engineering with Distinction, 2004
- University of Western Ontario, B.A., Economics, 2004
- Listed in the 2020 Lexpert Canadian Legal Directory as a "Leading Lawyer to Watch" in Intellectual Property Law
- Listed in the 2020 IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals