Ryan practices in the firm's Business Law Group. His practice focuses on mergers & acquisitions, corporate finance, financial services, start-up businesses and a broad range of other business law matters.
Ryan has been involved in several national and international financial and corporate M&A transactions. Through his M&A practice, Ryan has acted on behalf of buyers and sellers in many different industries including, energy, technology, metals, marketing and advertising, financial services, education, manufacturing, automotive, public accounting and real estate. Ryan acts for lenders and borrowers in various industry sectors including, solar energy, commercial real estate, construction and real estate services, food and beverage, consumer lending and telecommunications.
Ryan acts for various start-up companies, providing advice including formalizing business structures, shareholders agreements, protecting intellectual property, equity compensation, financing and key contracts.
Ryan has an undergraduate degree from the Goodman School of Business, Brock University and a Master of Business Administration degree from the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics, Wilfrid Laurier University. He attended the University of Glasgow, School of Law graduating with a Bachelor of Laws degree. Ryan also has a Master of Laws degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in business law.
Ryan previously worked at a mobile telecommunications firm in contractual negotiations, licensing and strategy of media products.
Ryan joined the firm as a summer student in 2012 and articled with the firm from 2013 to 2014. He was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 2014.
JUNE 06 2017
Ontario Bill 59: New Consumer Lender Regulations
The government of Ontario passed Bill 59, Putting Consumers First Act (Consumer Protection Statute Law Amendment), 2017 (the Bill) on April 10, 2017 which amended several acts including the Consumer Protection Act (Ontario), the Collection and Debt Settlement Services Act and the Payday Loans Act. Bill 59 also enacts the Home Inspection Act, 2017, which requires home inspectors to be licensed, among other matters...
MARCH 06 2017
CETA: An Update On What You Need to Know
On February 15, 2017, the European Parliament approved the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), a free trade agreement between the European Union (EU) and Canada...
APRIL 28 2016
Ryan Hayes profiled in The Brock News at the 2016 Blueprint Competition
Business Law Associate Ryan Hayes presented the winner of the 2016 Blueprint competition, Daniel Bordenave of B.I.S.E.P., with the Foglers Legal Start-up Package, an in-kind legal package valued at over $5000.
DECEMBER 09 2015
Equity Crowdfunding In Canada: Final Rules Approved
MAY 11 2015
Securities Bulletin - Equity Crowdfunding in Canada: An Update
Ryan M.J. Hayes and Jordan R. Schwartz, Equity Crowdfunding in Canada: An Update, May 11, 2015
- November 2017 - Presenter 'Legal Seminar' Youth Small Business Program, Rise Asset Development
- October 2017 - Presenter 'Shareholder Agreements, Employee Compensation and Stock Options' Get Investment Ready, Keiretsu Canada Forum
- March 2017 - Presenter, 'Start-up Legal Seminar', BioLinc, Goodman School of Business
- February 2017 - Presenter 'Shareholder Agreements, Employee Compensation and Stock Options' Get Investment Ready, Keiretsu Canada Forum
- October 2016 - 'Recruitment & Compensation: How to Recruit the Best and still protect your Company', Entrepreneurs' Organization
- August 2016 - Presenter 'Shareholder Agreements, Employee Compensation and Equity' Get Investment Ready, Keiretsu Canada Forum
- February 2016 - Presenter, 'Start-up Legal Seminar', BioLinc, Goodman School of Business
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- Young Canadians in Finance
- Admitted to Ontario Bar, 2014
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Business Law, 2014, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), 2012, University of Glasgow
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) Financial Management, 2009, Lazaridis School of Business and Economics, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Honours Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) Accounting, 2008, Goodman School of Business, Brock University