Ross is a Partner in the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution group. Ross has a broad practice, including commercial litigation, construction law, tax litigation, estate litigation and health law matters. Ross has appeared before various courts and tribunals in Ontario.
AUGUST 21 2019
19 Fogler Rubinoff Partners Ranked in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada
Fogler Rubinoff is pleased to announce that the following 19 lawyers were selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada.
- Don Bourgeois – Gaming Law
- Steven Cygelfarb - Real Estate Law, Commercial Leasing Law
- Milton A. Davis - Legal Malpractice Law
- Albert Engel - Environmental Law
- Michael B. Fraleigh - Health Care Law, Medical Negligence
- Jeffrey B. Goldenberg - Real Estate Law
- Bill Hearn - Advertising and Marketing Law
- Eric N. Hoffstein – Trust and Estates
- Ian N. Kady - Real Estate Law
- Gary Kissack - Aboriginal Law
- Ross MacDougall – Construction Law
- Martin L. Middlestadt - Real Estate Law
- Kenneth W. Movat - Construction Law
- Young Park – Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Karen Rosen - Energy Law
- John Rowinski – Aboriginal Law
- Howard Rubinoff – Banking and Finance Law
- Colleen Spring Zimmerman - Intellectual Property Law
- Mary Wahbi – Trusts and Estates
Best Lawyers compiles its lists of outstanding lawyers by conducting peer-review surveys in which thousands of leading lawyers confidentially evaluate their professional peers.
SEPTEMBER 30 2014
Peter Baek and Ross MacDougall’s recent success in the Tax Court of Canada featured in The Bottom Line
Peter Baek and Ross MacDougall’s success on behalf of a taxpayer was highlighted in The Bottom Line, a business periodical for accounting and financial professionals. The article discusses the implications of the Tax Court’s decision in Bolton Steel Tube Co. v. The Queen regarding tax settlement agreements. Please click on the following link to read a PDF copy of the article: "TCC Ruling Stresses 'Reasonable' Agreements".
Ledore Investments Limited (Ross Steel Fabricators & Contractors) v. Ellis-Don Construction Ltd.
Ross MacDougall and Robin Joffe were recently successful before the Court of Appeal in the matter of Ledore Investments Limited (Ross Steel Fabricators & Contractors) v. Ellis-Don Construction Ltd.
In the decision released June 20, 2017, the Court of Appeal overturned a decision of Morrisette J. of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, thereby reinstating a commercial arbitration award rendered by Larry Banack, which dismissed a delay claim of Ellis-Don Construction Ltd. of approximately $1 million. The long road to success first required Ross and Robin to obtain leave, which was granted by the Court of Appeal on December 23, 2016.
In overturning the lower court’s decision, the Court of Appeal accepted Ross and Robin's argument that the arbitrator's finding that a “claims made in writing” clause in the parties’ construction contract required more than notice of a prospective claim, was reasonable. The appeal raised important issues relating to the interpretation of claims provisions in construction contracts and the standard of review of arbitration decisions.
The Court of Appeal’s decision may be found at http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2017/2017ONCA0518.htm.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Advocates Society
- University of Toronto, LL.B., 2003
- University of Ottawa, B.A., 2000
- Admitted to Ontario Bar, 2004
Awards and Recognition
Recognized as a leading lawyer in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada: Construction Law