We regularly assist our clients in advancing their interests when acquiring, financing, advancing, protecting and commercializing renewable energy projects and clean technology products and services.
We are constantly updating our knowledge base in this fast-changing industry in order to provide our clients with practical and actionable advice, including advising on developments in the applicable laws and regulations. We have successfully assisted our clients with:
- mergers & acquisitions
- joint ventures
- power purchase agreements
- siting, environmental assessments and other permitting
- project finance for energy projects
- land options, leases and other tenures
- first nations matters
- engineering, procurement and construction contracts
Our multi-disciplinary CleanTech Industry group provides a wide array of legal services to domestic and international clients from start-up operations to major corporations with complex clean technology transactional requirements. Our CleanTech Industry group is comprised of a broad spectrum of lawyers and professionals with expertise and experience in energy law, environmental law, technology law, intellectual property law, securities law, and corporate/commercial law and in financial services, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate finance practice areas.
We provide practical legal advice to clients on various clean technology matters including:
- new developments with renewable/alternative energy technologies, including solar, geothermal, wind, hydropower, biomass, biofuels, cellulosic and fuel cells
- commercialization of clean technology products and services and related businesses, including assisting with early stage angel and venture capital financing and private equity and initial public offering opportunities
- protection, management and commercial exploitation of intellectual property
- structuring and negotiating project financing, joint venture, distribution and licensing arrangements, and mergers and acquisition of technology companies, businesses and/or assets
- clean technology infrastructure projects
- new energy and environmental law requirements and regulatory regimes, including carbon management and emission trading
Our automotive and transportation law lawyers are well versed in both the legal aspects and underlying business concerns faced by the automotive and transportation industries today.
Our full range of services ensure that all your legal needs are covered under one roof by lawyers who are efficient, experienced and dedicated.
- logistic firms
- car rental companies
- mechanic shops
- rail carriers
- trade associations
Range of Services
Advertising Rules and Regulations
Advertising rules and regulations, especially in the automotive industry, can be very tough and, as a business owner or manager, it is a challenge to keep current. Our automotive lawyers are familiar with the relevant legislation and OMVIC bulletins, and can easily answer and assist you with all your dealership’s advertising and promotion needs.
In the unfortunate event that you or your company have been charged with an advertising related offence, our lawyers can guide you through the process and assist you in resolving the issue. We can also work with your team to ensure future compliance.
Appeals and Other Matters Before Licensing Bodies
Whether you have received Notice of Discipline Hearing, or a Proposal to Revoke, Refuse or Suspend your registration, our lawyers have the experience and skills to assist you in achieving the best possible outcome. Our experience and relationships with both OMVIC and the Ministry of Transportation allow us to provide quick advice and straightforward strategies.
Complaints and Discipline
Our lawyers have vast experience representing companies and individuals before the various regulatory bodies found in the automotive and transportation industries. We are adept at providing comprehensive advice to assist our clients with achieving and maintaining compliance with the various regulatory requirements and hurdles faced on a day to day basis. When our clients are faced with a discipline hearing, a complaints process or just general allegations of wrongdoing by their regulatory body, we are there to provide strategic advice and to find efficient, creative and effective solutions.
Dealer and Consumer Finance
Whether you are new to the automotive finance industry or have extensive experience, our lawyers provide efficient advice to ensure that your company is up to date, compliant and aware of any future changes coming into effect. We strive to provide clear, cogent and experienced advice to guide and assist you in developing your business.
Mechanics’ and Storage Liens
Our lawyers have broad experience in assisting mechanics and mechanic shops with all of their legal needs, whether regulatory, debtor/creditor related or storage related. In-depth experience with matters relevant to your industry allows us to provide efficient and cost effective solutions to your common problems.
Provincial Offences Act Charges
The Provincial Offences Act sets out the specialized procedural steps by which all regulatory offences are prosecuted in Ontario. Regulatory offences include charges laid under provincial legislation including the Environmental Protection Act, the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Nutrient Management Act, the Pesticides Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002.
The cannabis industry is rapidly changing. In Canada, the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) and the legalization of recreational cannabis have presented many opportunities both for producers of cannabis and a wide range of ancillary industries.
Our team’s vast experience in this new frontier allows us to guide our clients through both the regulatory framework for legalized marijuana and its implications on the marketplace, and provide practical legal solutions for financing, accessing capital markets, IP, real estate, branding, celebrity endorsements and other related legal matters to help businesses succeed.
We have been helping clients who are entering or expanding in this market navigate a wide range of complex issues and act as corporate and securities counsel for various private and public companies in the cannabis industry, including licensed producers and late stage applicants under the ACMPR. Our lawyers have acted on various matters including licensing, financings, M&A, go-public transactions and in the capacity of underwriters’/agents’ counsel on equity and debt financings completed for cannabis companies.
In addition, our lawyers have experience assisting clients applying to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario for, and to maintain, licences relating to the retail sale of recreational cannabis, including Retail Operator Licences, Retail Store Authorizations, and Cannabis Retail Manager Licences. We have also represented clients before the Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT) on some of the first matters to be heard under the Cannabis Licence Act and have assisted the LAT in navigating this new legislation.
Our lawyers are at the forefront of this industry, driving thought leadership though our role on cannabis marketing group with the CMA and providing media outlets and our clients with insightful information.
The energy industry is ever-evolving, especially in the areas of alternatives and renewables. We provide legal expertise to clients in a variety of energy related industries including oil and gas, solar, wind and hydro.
We provide a broad array of legal services to domestic and international energy clients from start-up companies to major corporations. We have advised our clients on:
- acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, restructurings and privatizations
- structuring and negotiating project and corporate finance
- dispute resolution and litigation
- tax structuring
- First Nations matters
- new developments with renewable/alternative energy technologies including solar, geothermal, wind, hydropower, biomass, biofuels, and fuel cells
We represent a wide variety of participants in the food, beverage and agribusiness sectors, whose businesses encompass a wide range of activities that contribute to the world supply of food and drink.
These are dynamic businesses that must respond to advances in technology, major changes in trade and policy, and a consumer-driven marketplace. We assist our clients with the many areas of the law that impact this sector including:
- mergers & acquisitions
- acquisition, licensing, transfer and litigation of patents, trade-marks, copyright and industrial design rights
- dispute resolution between companies and regulatory officials when interpreting legislation, administrative and policy matters, including disputes and complaints with Advertising Standards Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Health Canada and the Competition Bureau
- various environmental matters, including spills, wastewater, noise and odour emissions issues, and regularly provide regulatory advice on fertilizer, nutrient management, toxic substances and pesticide issues
- civil, administrative and quasi-criminal proceedings arising from the above matters
The breadth of our experience with litigation, licensing, regulatory compliance, tax planning, and commercial arrangements and contracts enable us to provide our clients with guidance and assistance across all matters touching the gaming industry.
We have acted for gaming and non-gaming suppliers and equipment manufacturers, regulators, casinos in a variety of jurisdictions, bingo halls and gaming software developers. Our experience in dealing with various enforcement bodies and regulators, both for and against, in a variety of jurisdictions provides us with a unique knowledge base and wide platform from which we provide our clients with guidance and advice.
We advise exploration and producing companies both prior to and after going public. We help navigate our clients through the complex domestic and international regulatory environments.
We also advise investment dealers and financial institutions in a variety of mining transactions. We have successfully helped clients with:
- equity and debt financings (including flow through financings)
- property acquisitions
- royalty and option agreements
- joint ventures
- mergers and acquisitions
- environmental issues
- first nation and aboriginal issues
- tax planning
We act for a range of private charities and not-for-profit organizations, including hospitals and their related foundations and cultural organizations.
Our full service capabilities ensure that all of your objectives and needs will be addressed in a responsive and effective manner. We provide advice at the onset, relating to the incorporation, organization and charitable registration of the not-for-profit or charity; and advice once operational, including advice relating to trademark, employment, governance issues, director and officer liability, and risk management.
We assist clients in meeting their philanthropic goals in a tax-efficient manner including establishing private family foundations or donor-advised funds and structuring other major gifts, both inter vivos and testamentary. We also assist clients interested in the establishment and ongoing maintenance of public charitable organizations.
We advise our clients in the retail and hospitality industries in all areas of law related to these sectors.
We act for a broad range of clients, from start-ups and mom-and-pops, to multi-national private and public operations. With the ever changing needs and long working hours required in these industries, you deserve a little bit of hospitality of your own – so let us help. We advise clients on:
- purchase and sale of retail and hospitality operations, leases and properties
- supply, distribution and other commercial agreements
- corporate governance and maintenance
- employment issues
Our Corporate/Commercial and Intellectual Property lawyers effectively handle your diverse needs in today’s ever evolving marketplace. Both the entertainment and sports worlds are exciting and ever-evolving, made up of highly motivated and visionary people.
We provide legal services which cover the full spectrum of sports law and entertainment media, from music, theatre and film, to book publishing, art, social media, home entertainment and video gaming.
We act for a broad range of clients ranging from professional and amateur sporting teams/organizations to film studios. Our clients include event promoters, athletes, corporate sponsors and facilities, artists, developers, publishers and production studios.
The depth of our experience and the full service nature of our firm allows us to advise our clients on all entertainment and sports law matters including:
- acquisition and licensing of rights in creative works and protection of content
- drafting and negotiating contracts of all descriptions, including licensing, distribution, player, sponsorship, talent, management and agency contracts
- acquisition and sale of sports franchises
- content and game development, production, financing and distribution
- collective bargaining and employment matters
- facility construction, financing and management
- all aspects of intellectual property, including protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights
- marketing and advertising matters