Rob Macdonald is a Partner in the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group. Rob maintains a general civil and commercial litigation practice with a focus on debtor and creditor disputes, mortgage litigation, bankruptcy and insolvency litigation, real estate disputes and insurance litigation.
Rob has acted for individuals and corporations, including banks, financial lenders, developers, and energy companies in a variety of matters including shareholder and partnership disputes, oppression remedy proceedings, insurance coverage disputes, negligence claims, injunctive proceedings, contractual disputes and a variety of debtor-creditor disputes. Rob has appeared at every level of the Court in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal for Ontario, and various administrative tribunals.
Rob completed his undergraduate studies at McGill University before attending the University of New Brunswick for law school.
Prior to joining Fogler, Rubinoff in 2014, Rob articled and practiced with a commercial litigation firm in Toronto. Rob was admitted to the bar in Ontario in 2011.
FEBRUARY 01 2021
A New (and Needed) Cyber-Tort Emerges: Harassment in Internet Communications Caplan v. Atas, 2021 ONSC 670
Recently, Justice David Corbett of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice made a significant contribution to the evolution of cyber-remedies by recognizing the tort of harassment in internet communications in Caplan v. Atas, 2021 ONSC 670. The 65-page decision is remarkable in many ways, so much so that the story is the subject of a lengthy New York Times article. The focus of this article is the litigation significance of this landmark decision.
This article was published in the February 2021 Issue of the Toronto Law Journal.
SEPTEMBER 21 2018
Bringing Clarity to the Interest Act: The ClearFlow Decision
On September 4, 2018 the Ontario Court of Appeal released its much anticipated decision in Solar Power Network Inc. v ClearFlow Energy Finance Corp.
JUNE 21 2018
Rob Macdonald appointed Vice-Chair of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group with the Advocates' Society
Congratulations to Rob Macdonald who has on his been appointed as Vice-Chair of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group with the Advocates' Society for the 2018-2019 term.
JUNE 01 2018
The Principle About Interest: The Ontario Superior Court of Justice on Section 4 of The Interest Act and the Need to Disclose Interest Rates in Commercial Contracts
The January 2018 Ontario Superior Court of Justice decision of Solar Power Network Inc. v. ClearFlow Energy Finance Corp...
MAY 25 2018
Limitations Update: Court of Appeal for Ontario Confirms that Discoverability Principles Apply to Claims for Contribution and Indemnity
On May 7, 2018, the Court of Appeal for Ontario released its decision in Mega International Commercial Bank (Canada) v. Yung...
NOVEMBER 30 2017
Blockchain – The Promise and the Perils
Presented at Lexpert’s 9th Annual Information Privacy and Data Protection Conference, November 30, 2017, Toronto
NOVEMBER 30 2017
LEXPERT’s 9th Annual Information Privacy and Data Protection Seminar
Bill Hearn, Howard Burshtein, Ron Davis, Sheryl Johnson, Rob Macdonald, Rudy Morrone, Young Park, Colleen Spring Zimmerman and Ravi Shukla will be speaking at LEXPERT’s 9th Annual Information Privacy and Data Protection Seminar. This full day course will highlight:
- Big Data and Other Developments in the Public Sector and Elsewhere
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - Implications for Canadian Business
- Privacy Litigation Cases - Recent Developments
- Blockchain - The Promise and The Perils
- OPC Compliance Priorities and Strategic Directions
- Cyber Risk Management Guidance for Corporate Directors
- Issues in Employee Privacy
- CASL Update
MARCH 08 2017
Court of Appeal for Ontario Clarifies the Authority to Order Non-Party Costs
On March 3, 2017, the Court of Appeal for Ontario released its decision in 1318847 Ontario Limited v. Laval Tools & Mould Ltd., 2017 ONCA 184.
OCTOBER 16 2014
Best Procedures for Borrowers Objecting to Mortgage Amounts
Practice Gems: Mortgage Enforcement Essentials: Best Procedures for Borrowers Objecting to Mortgage Amounts
- Hillmount Capital Inc. v. Pizale, 2021 ONCA 364
- Parktrail Estates Inc. v. Four Valley Realty Group Inc., 2018 ONSC 69
- Willowbrook Nurseries Inc. v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2017 ONCA 974
- Koundouros v. Koundouros, 2017 ONSC 1390
- Mountain View Hospitality LP v The Lodge at Kananaskis Limited Partnership, 2017 ONSC 109
- Mcdonald v. Menicucci, 2017 ONSC 291
- 1623242 Ontario Inc. v. Great Lakes Copper Inc., 2016 ONSC 1002
- Emmott v. Your Community Realty Inc., 2016 ONSC 7446
- Tsigirlash v. Walker, 2016 ONSC 968
- In-Store Products Limited v. Zuker, Torstar et al., 2015 ONSC 6215
- 3072453 Nova Scotia Company v. 1623242 Ontario Inc., 2015 ONSC 2105
- In the Matter of the Proposal of Casimir Capital, 2015 ONSC 2819
- Hazelton Lanes Inc. v. 1707590 Ontario Limited, 2014 ONCA 793
- Andrews v. Ballantry Homes, 2014 ONSC 5238
- In-Store Products Limited v. Zuker, 2013 ONSC 7091
- 1159607 Ontario Inc. v. Country Style Food Services Inc., 2013 ONCA 589
- McCarthy Tétrault LLP v. Guberman, 2012 ONCA 679
- Vera Gacanin v. David Macedo, 2012 ONCA 246
- The 2019 Essential Guide to Limitation Periods in Ontario, Osgoode Professional Development, Faculty, March 20, 2019
- Privacy Litigation and Regulatory Update, Lexpert's 10th Annual Privacy and Data Protection Seminar, November 27, 2018
- Women in Commercial Law: Bringing Men Into the Conversation, The Advocates' Society, April 3, 2018
- Blockchain – The Promise and the Perils, Lexpert Information Privacy and Data Protection Conference, November 30, 2017.
- Top Cases in Commercial Litigation, The Advocates’ Society, March 1, 2017
- Practice Gems: Mortgage Enforcement Essentials, Law Society of Ontario, September 2014, 2016 and 2018
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Advocates Society, Vice-Chair of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group (2018-2019)
- University of New Brunswick, LLB, 2010
- McGill University, BA, 2005