Our Condominium Law Group acts as corporate counsel to hundreds of condominium corporations throughout the Greater Toronto area, Southern Ontario and “cottage country”. We pride ourselves on providing our clients with sound condominium specific advice, based on our widespread knowledge and experience.
We are well known and regarded in the condominium industry, and participate frequently in publications, conferences and seminars. We are professional members of both CCI and ACMO. We work closely with Board members and property managers to help them face the many challenges involved with operating and managing a condominium corporation in today’s environment. Our focus is aimed at providing our clients with the highest level of legal services, which recognizes creativity and the appropriate legal documentation, in the most cost effective manner.
Our team provides legal advice and services with respect to all aspects of the administration and operations of condominiums, including:
- Condominium Documents – including Interpretation of Declaration and By-law provisions; Declaration and Description amendments, By-law and Rule enactment and amendments, and enforcement.
- Condominium Meetings – including advising and attending at General and Special Owners’ meetings and board meetings, drafting of meeting documents and acting as independent chairperson.
- Common Expense Collections – notices of lien, certificates of lien and power of sale, including chargeback of certain additional expenses to owners where applicable.
- Contract Review and Drafting – including leases, shared facilities agreements, Section 98 alteration agreements, telecommunications agreements, bank loans, and employment agreements, submetering, management, major project/ construction/ restoration agreements.
- Tarion/ Developer Issues – assisting with and conciliating Tarion warranty claims, first-year budget deficiencies, construction litigation and related matters.
- Employment – including termination, discipline, litigation and union/ collective agreement issues.
- Complete Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution Services – including mediation and arbitration, applications to the Superior Court of Justice, construction lien litigation, small claims court claims and defences, and human rights complaints.