Listed as a Leading Practitioner in the 2016 Canadian Lexpert® Directory
Listed in Best Lawyers since 2009
Colleen was selected by her peers to be included in the 10th Edition of Best Lawyers in Canada in the specialty of Intellectual Property Law.
My practice centers on Intellectual Property (IP) and Technology (IT), including trade-marks, patents, copyright, licensing, distribution arrangements, technology matters and transactions and on litigation in this field.
I have assisted clients in all aspects of matters dealing with IP and IT transactions. I handle all types of due diligence and complex IP and IT licensing and transactional arrangements. I also work closely with clients with respect to their intellectual property portfolios and their international IP and IT strategies, including for enhanced revenue generation. I represent clients in IP litigation in the Ontario and Federal Courts.
I am the Co-chair of the Business Development Committee at Fogler, Rubinoff LLP.
MARCH 23 2017
Can You Sleep At Night – You Need To Know About Injunctions In Canada
The mattress business is a competitive one! Trade-marks in the mattress business are valuable!
Sleep Country Canada Inc. is a major mattress retailer in Canada. It is best known for its slogan "Why Buy a Mattress Anywhere Else?"...
MARCH 01 2017
What's "Trending Now" in Digital Advertising & Marketing Law
JANUARY 26 2017
Industrial Design Protection In Canada: Changes Before The Office January, 2017
Industrial design registrations under the Industrial Design Act (the "Act") are similar to design patents in the US. They protect the features of a product that are visually appealing and not purely utilitarian. They can consist of a shape, configuration or composition of pattern or color, or combination of pattern and color in three-dimensional form, such as the design of a table or the shape of a computer monitor...
AUGUST 10 2016
Eight Fogler Rubinoff Partners recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada
Fogler, Rubinoff is pleased to announce that the following lawyers were selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada.
- Steven A. Cygelfarb - Real Estate Law
- Milton A. Davis - Legal Malpractice Law
- Michael B. Fraleigh - Health Care Law
- Jeffrey B. Goldenberg - Real Estate Law
- Bill Hearn - Advertising & Marketing Law
- Kenneth W. Movat - Construction Law
- Sheldon Silver - Tax Law
- Colleen Spring Zimmerman - Intellectual Property Law
Best Lawyers compiles its lists of outstanding lawyers by conducting peer-review surveys in which thousands of leading lawyers confidentially evaluate their professional peers.
JUNE 28 2016
Eight Fogler Rubinoff Partners have been profiled as Leading Practitioners in the 2016 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory
The 2016 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory has profiled eight Fogler Rubinoff lawyers as leading practitioners:
Steven A. Cygelfarb - Property Leasing
Milton A. Davis - Professional Liability
Michael B. Fraleigh - Medical Negligence
Bill Hearn - Advertising & Marketing Law
Martin L. Middlestadt - Property Leasing
Kenneth W. Movat - Construction Law
Colleen Spring Zimmerman - Intellectual Property
Michael S. Wolfish - Property Leasing
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory ranks individual lawyers across 64 areas of expertise and firms in over 40 practice areas. Recommendations for lawyers in the annual publication are the product of an extensive peer review process, with firm rankings tabulated from the cumulative rankings of individuals within each practice area reviewed.
JANUARY 21 2016
Ontario Bar Association Institute 2016
Ontario Bar Association Institute 2016 runs from February 2-6, 2016. Three of Fogler Rubinoff's lawyers are speaking at the event:
- Charles W. Skipper, 2015 Legal Trends and Developments: What Corporate Counsel Need to Know to be On the Cutting Edge
- Kenneth W. Movat, Insolvency Law for Uncertain Economic Time
- Colleen Spring Zimmerman, Protecting Intellectual Property in Commercial Contracting
AUGUST 25 2015
10th Edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada
AUGUST 13 2015
Colleen Spring Zimmerman interviewed by Epoch Times
Colleen Spring Zimmerman was interviewed and quoted in this article about changing attitudes towards protecting intellectual property.
JULY 30 2015
Leading Practitioners in the 2015 Canadian Lexpert® Directory
MAY 10 2013
MAY 01 2013
Highlights of the Safe Food For Industry
APRIL 01 2013
Bill On Local Food Act Re-Introduced
MARCH 01 2013
New Transition Plan for Natural Health Products
FEBRUARY 20 2013
Best Lawyers in Canada
- Intellectual Property
- Patents and Industrial Designs
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Commercial
- Ecommerce and Digital Media
- Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Commercial Litigation
- Freedom of Information and Privacy
- Health Care Labour and Employment
- Cross Border and International Tax
- Advertising and Marketing
- Privacy & Data Protection
- Canadian Trade-mark Law Benchbook, 2012 Carswell Co-authored chapter on "Use in the Trade-marks Act and Section 45 Proceedings and Section 57 Proceedings"
- IP Portfolio: Revenue Generation, 2009 KPMG Bulletin
- Registration of Trade-marks with Facebook, 2009 Co-authored with Brandon Evenson , Lawyers Weekly
- Copyright Reform and Its Implications for Technology and Software Companies, 2009 Co-authored with Daniel Brinza , KPMG Enterprise Business Adviser
- CASL Compliance - Upgrading Consents for CEMs before July 1, 2017 and Protecting Trademark Rights in Digital Advertising - Online Trademarks in Metatags, Hashtags, Keywords and Domain Names at the the What's Trending Now in Digital Advertising & Marketing Seminar, February 28, 2017
- Ethics in Mediation - IPIC Webinar, June 13, 2013 Toronto
- Understanding Copyright Law and Reform Course, May 23rd and 24th, 2013, Toronto - Speaking on Technical Protection Measures
- Toronto Speaks TV Series Legal Advice, June 17, 2013 Toronto
- 4th Mastering IP & IT Transactions Conference, 2012 Toronto - Chaired this annual event for the last 3 years. Prepared paper and spoke on Due Diligence for Complex IP and IT Transactions
- 5th Patents as a Competitive Strategy Conference, 2012 Toronto - Chaired this annual event for the last 5 years. Prepared papers and spoke, including on Due Diligence for Complex IP and IT Technology Transactions
- 16th Annual Intellectual Property Law - The Year in Review , 2012 Toronto - Panel member at this Law Society of Upper Canada conference and spoke on "How the Information Highway is Affecting IP Practice" (Part I) – Non-Litigation Panel"
- INTA Annual Meeting, 2012, Washington - Speaker and Moderator on "A Look at Anti-Spam Legislation in Various Jurisdictions and How it Affects Brand Owners Use of Brands"
- Ontario-New York State Legal Summit - Franchise, Licensing and Distribution Law Program, 2012, Buffalo - Prepared a paper and spoke on "License Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Agency Agreements and Private Label Agreements - A Canadian Perspective"
- 3rd Mastering IP & IT Transactions Event, 2011 Toronto
- INTA Annual Meeting , 2011, San Francisco- Speaker and moderator on "Seizure Orders: Anton Piller and Other Orders to Seize Infringing Goods"
- ABA International Law Section – Searching for the Truth and Seizing the Deceitful: Should the Anton Piller Remedy Come into U.S. Courts?, 2011, Washington - Prepared a paper and spoke on "Anton Piller Orders"
- Law Society of Upper Canada – Continuing Legal Education Program – The Six-Minute Business Lawyer 2010 , Toronto - Prepared a paper and spoke on "Updates on Intellectual Property Law"
- With KPMG – Toward Economic Recovery: Harnessing the Value of IP with Winning Strategies, 2009, Toronto - Prepared a paper and spoke on "Due Diligence for Complex IP and Technology Transactions"
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- American Bar Association/Intellectual Property Section
- Canadian Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- Ontario Bar Association
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers - Canada 2009 - 2016 Editions – named in Intellectual Property Law
- World Trademark Review 2012 – WTR 1000 – named as a Leading Trademark Practitioner
- LEXPERT – repeatedly recommended as a leading practitioner in Intellectual Property, 2011 – 2016 Editions
- Chambers Global – the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Intellectual Property 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Editions – IP Litigation
- University of Western Ontario, LL.B., 1977
- Dalhousie University, B.Sc. in Pharmacy, 1974
- Certified Mediator (INTA) – May, 2011
Registered Trade-mark Agent